Benton County Mosquito Control (BCMC) hires approximately 20-25 seasonal employees every year. Part of this work force are returning workers that have been with us in the past, but every year there are vacant positions which need to be filled.
For the 2018 Season, BCMC will be filling positions for
- Public Education Coordinator (x1)
The starting wage for 2018 will be $13.50.
You may submit an application at any time after January 1st of each year for that season's open positions.
Please note: we often don't know how many, and what, positions will need to be filled until March (sometimes a bit later). We do post in the Tri-City Herald about accepting applications, but you can contact us directly any time. A few positions will start to be filled in March, but the bulk of the work crew is not needed until May/June timeframe. The season goes until late September/early October, but one does not have to be able to work the entire season to be hired. In fact, much of our work force consists of individuals on summer break; which corresponds with the busiest time of the season.
- Applicants must be 18 years old and possess a valid Washington State Drivers License. In addition, applicants must submit to the district, a copy of their current driving record dating back at least 3 years. Driving abstracts must be included with the application for employment. Driving abstracts are available at the Department of Licensing or you may go online at abstract request. Should you want to download or view the instructions for getting a driver's abstract through Washington's DOL you may click here.
- If hired, an applicant must obtain a Washington State Department of Agriculture Pesticide License; general license and a Public Health certification. Benton County Mosquito Control will provide the necessary study materials, 3 days of paid study time and will cover transportation, scheduling and cost of tests for License testing with the WSDA.
- Applicants must be able to work independently as well as cooperatively with other employees and the public. Applicants that are safety minded and possess the ability to keep detailed records are sought after as employees. The work requires employees to walk long distances over uneven and sloping terrain with 40+ lb. packs. Some heavy lifting may also be necessary.
- The standard work hours are Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (Schedules of 6:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. may be implemented based upon weather conditions). Availability is required for evening and night time spraying.
- If you are interested in working with us, then please contact us by mail, phone, fax or email. Or, you may download a job application below. Downloading the application may take a little time due to its size. Please complete the application entirely and mail it to us at Benton County MCD, 4951 W. Van Giesen Street, West Richland, WA 99353.
The items below provide additional information concerning the different positions potentially available. If you have any additional questions or would like further information, please contact us.
NOTE: If you are hired for the "lab" position you may still be required to perform "field" work as needed. All Control Operators and Surveillance Techs must meet the "Employment Requirements" listed above.