Positions for the 2021 Season have been mostly filled. We are still looking to hire one Control Operator (Field) position, but we anticipate this position will close soon
- Control Operators - Field (x1)
Field Inspector Surveillance Technician - Lab Administrative Assistant - Front Desk UAS (Unmanned Aircraft System) Operator Biologist/Vector Ecologist - Lab
You may submit an application at any time, but BCMC will only be considering applications submitted after January 1st, for the current year. All positions will remain open until filled.
Our starting wage for all positions is $17.00, but experience and certain positions will be paid at higher rates.
Benton County Mosquito Control (BCMC) hires approximately 20-25 seasonal employees every year. Part of this work force are returning workers that have been with us in the past, but every year there are vacant positions which need to be filled.
We often do not know how many, and what, positions will need to be filled until March (sometimes a bit later). We do post in the Tri-City Herald about accepting applications, but you can contact us directly at any time. A few positions may be filled in March, but the bulk of the work crew is not needed until a May/June timeframe. The season goes until late September/early October, but one does not have to be able to work the entire season to be hired; in fact, much of our work force consists of individuals on summer break, which corresponds with the busiest time of the season.
- Applicants must be 18 years old at the start of work and possess a valid Washington State Drivers License.
- Applicants must submit to the District*, a copy of their current driving record (you would get the "Employment" driver's record). Driving abstracts are available at the Department of Licensing or you may go online at abstract request. Should you want to download or view the instructions for getting a driver's abstract through Washington's DOL you may click here. *Please note: you are NOT required to submit an abstract with your application, but, if you are offered a position with the District, you will be required to submit an "Employment" driver's record. The information in the driver's abstract will be used in consideration of employment. You can submit your abstract with your application if you want. This abstract is helpful, but we understand that the $13 fee that the Department of Licensing collects may be problematic, which is why we allow the abstract to be turned in later, but one must be provided before employment begins and the District reserves the right to rescind the employment offer based upon the provided driver's abstract.
- If hired, an applicant must obtain a Washington State Department of Agriculture Pesticide License; general license and a Public Health certification. Benton County Mosquito Control will provide the necessary study materials, 3 days of paid study time and will cover transportation, scheduling and cost of tests for License testing with the WSDA.
- Applicants must be able to work independently as well as cooperatively with other employees and the public. Applicants that are safety minded and possess the ability to keep detailed records are sought after as employees. The work requires employees to walk long distances over uneven and sloping terrain with 40+ lb. packs. Some heavy lifting may also be necessary.
- The standard work hours are Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (Schedules of 6:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. may be implemented based upon weather conditions). Availability is required for evening and night time spraying.
- If you are interested in working with us, then please contact us by mail, phone, fax or email. Or, you may download a job application below. Downloading the application may take a little time due to its size. Please complete the application entirely and mail it to us at Benton County MCD, 4951 W. Van Giesen Street, West Richland, WA 99353.
The items below provide additional information concerning the different positions potentially available. If you have any additional questions or would like further information, please contact us.
Biologist/Vector Ecologist - Lab
Hardcopy application; click, print, fill out, and get back to us (scan and email, mail, or drop-off): Hardcopy Application; this form covers all available positions. Please mark the form to indicate the position or positions for which you are applying.
Online application; click, fill out, and you're done: Online Application
You may apply anytime of the year for any position that we carry, but we generally only hire in the spring and early summer.